BOARD MEMBER APPLICATION
Thank you for considering service on the Lion’s Heart Board of Directors.
Our vision is to create a safe place for families with children to grieve courageously, with new opportunities in the Spokane community for education, support, and connection.
Since Lion’s Heart is in the process of building its Board of Directors, we do not yet have an official policy of board member and organization responsibilities but would anticipate they will be similar to what is written below. This is informational only at this time.
As a Board Member,
1. I will interpret the organization’s work and values to the community and promote the organization.
2. I will attend at least 75% of board meetings (held monthly), committee meetings, and special events.
3. I will make a personal financial contribution at a level that is meaningful to me.
4. I will recruit at least one financial partner per year.
5. I will actively participate in one or more fundraising activities.
6. I will actively participate in one or more standing committees.
7. I will act in the best interests of the organization, and excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
8. I will take seriously the major legal responsibilities of serving on a board, including and especially the fiduciary role.
9. I will stay informed about what’s going on in the organization. I will ask questions and request information.
10. I will participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies, and other board matters.
11. I will work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners towards achievement of our goals.
From Lion's Heart,
1. I will receive an orientation to the board by the Executive Director and a current member of the Board of Directors.
2. I will be sent, without request, quarterly financial reports and an update of organizational activities that allow me to act as a “prudent person” in my legal responsibilities as a board member.
3. Opportunities will be offered to me to discuss with the Executive Director and the Board President the organization’s programs, goals, activities, and status; additionally, I can request such opportunities.
4. The organization will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about issues related to children’s grief in which we are working, and by offering me opportunities for professional development as a board member.
5. Board members and staff will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions I have that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal and moral responsibilities to this organization. Board members and staff will work in good faith with me towards achievement of our goals.
6. If the organization does not fulfill its commitments to me, I can call on the Board President and Executive Director to discuss these responsibilities.